Tuesday 8 December 2009

SCAMS AND PADLOCKS

Back from an inspirational weekend in Paris and trying like mad to finish my book which is all about a man who hates Christmas and a woman who should never have become his mistress.....
(Note the padlocks which countless lovers have attached to this bridge - leaving their love-locked hearts forever in this romantic city).
But why am I staring at the ground?

Because moments before, a smiling person had "found" a gold ring - it's a famous Paris scam. You are shown the ring and you buy it for a ridiculously bargain price and there is talk of luck and a suggestion of magic.
No, we didn't fall for it - we were too busy trying to find oysters for lunch!


And here's a photo of Christophe and Arnaud - who made me laugh so much over dinner.


Would anyone care to name two dinner party guests who will appear in my latest book? The scene is in a beautiful London town-house. The heroine has never met any of the (Italian) hero's fancy friends before - and is insisting on throwing a dinner party for them. There will be tears before bed-time.... but be quick - I'm delivering the book at the end of the week.

4 comments:

  1. Oh I am so envious - I love the Gare d'Orsay museum - and Paris out of season.
    As for a dinner party? How about Gabriella and Paulo or Vito and Carmella.Or perhaps Dante and Serafina? LOL Have fun. Nina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Met a gorgeous Welsh Italian called Gianpiero once...No girlfriend. Perhaps he could have an aristo mate called Luca in tow?

    Love,

    Rach.
    XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such timeless padlocks are also shown in Rome, attached to Ponte Milvio - the famous lovers' bridge.
    Can't remember how many times I've seen them during the last year I lived there.
    There were always more.
    About the names, as female: Rossella or Viviana. As masculine: Davide or Daniele.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! I have chosen Serafina as a dinner-party guest, so thanks for that, Nina. Yes, Paris out of season is blissful - but I love all major European cities when they are quiet and cold.

    Her partner is Gianpiero. I like this name, too and have never heard it before. A Welsh Italian sounds a tempting proposition, Rachel. And maybe that'll be the name of a future hero.

    Part of the book is set in Rome, Michela - and your description of the bridge makes me long to go back.

    I have loads of photos of Avignon - including the famous bridge ("Sur le pont, d'Avignon....") which I will post during the week.
    This was another fabulous city, small and beautiful and rich with history.

    Anyone else been to Avignon?

    ReplyDelete