Thursday 7 March 2013

THREE AND SQUEE

Three lovely things have happened to me today (so far!).

First up, I discovered that A SCANDAL, A SECRET, A BABY is at #116 on this week's USA TODAY Bestseller List

Squee!  Woo-woo!  (And other similar noises of wild excitement).  I can't tell you what a thrill it was to discover that this Tuscan romance is currently one of America's most popular books.  Mainly because it means that readers are enjoying Dante and Justina's emotionally explosive love-story as much as I enjoyed writing it.  It handles some big themes and fairly contentious issues - and I'd love to know your views on how the characters handled these.

The second lovely thing to happen was pressing the *send* button on my latest manuscript (provisionally titled PROMISED TO THE SULTAN).  Delivering a book to my editor always makes me feel elated - through a little bit empty, too.  Suleiman and Sara have been occupying so much of my time and thoughts recently that it seems strange to have to let them go.  It's just fortunate that there's someone waiting to take their place, since one of the characters in their story is itching to have a story of his own.  So, you hunky and completely irresistible Mr Gabe Steele - COME ON DOWN!

As for the third lovely thing to complete the hat-trick - well, it has something to do with the first on this list, namely Tuscany.  Lots of you know that I take a writing course there every May.  Some of you have already been published!  Those of you who have attended (and returned, again and again!) will know that it's one of the most beautiful places on earth and you can hone your writing skills to a backdrop of mountains, surrounded by roses and listening to the soothing sound of the nearby river.  Last year we visited the Cinque Terre for the first time - a place about which no superlative could ever do justice.  And here it is.  (The photo was taken on my cell-phone - imagine!)


The May course has sold out and because there was a waiting list, Bill and Lois asked if I would run another one.  You can imagine the arm-twisting which followed - particularly when they suggested the glorious month of June.  There are four places left - so if you're interested, please contact the Watermill and come and join me.

Oh, and if you come back tomorrow, I'll tell you the STORY OF PUPPY.


6 comments:

  1. Congratulations Sharon on being on the USA Today Bestseller list yet AGAIN! Having been on your Watermill course and having had the chance to spend a week with fabulous women/writers in such a beautiful place with such comradery and learning happening - I say run don't walk and sign up if you haven't gone! :) I can't wait to be there in May!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As one of those who have been to The Watermil - and returned, time and time again, I can only echo your words. It's a wonderful place and I can't wait to be there yet again in May.
    Congrats Sharon on A Scandal, A Secret, A Baby being in the USA Today Bestseller list and sending off your latest story.
    See you soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Without wanting to sound sycophantic (and TG for spellcheck), last May at the Watermill was way more than a writing course. As well as Ms Kendrick's great tutelage, there was all the incidental learning that accompanied being in the company of such a talented bunch. Counting down the days until I go back! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooohhh I love the photo Sharon! Congrats on the release of your book and hitting the "go" button! Cant wait to hear the story of Puppy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yoicks! No pressure then...
      Actually, it's good to get a reminder about blog updating. Thanks, NashNz - PUPPY to follow!

      Delete
  5. Yes Lorna, the class of 2012 were certainly a great bunch of and talented ladies.
    The Watermill is a beautiful place to let one's creative juices flow and this course is good for anyone wanting to start to write or just to get inspiration for new ideas. Sharon is somewhat off the wall, but she makes learning fun and she did inspire me to write, maybe not in her style, but made me think about my own style. I am going to self-publish on Kindle later this year and would love to return to the Watermill one day, the courses and venue are well worth every penny.

    ReplyDelete