Wednesday 16 February 2011

LOSE YOURSELF....

Yesterday, I went to see a film all about the life of Glenn Gould - an inspirational pianist whose playing of Bach made people listen in awe and wonder. Philistine that I am, I'd never even heard of him, but I'm now going to download his playing of the Goldberg Variations and lose myself in his amazing talent.

Canadian Glenn was a bit of a maverick. Taciturn and moody, he gave his last professional concert in 1964 at the age of 31 - because he hated performing.
He was also enigmatic and good-looking enough to make perfect hero fodder - as this famous image from Life magazine shows.

I've forgotten how to download the Youtube link (I must ask the nice man at the Apple shop) - but go and listen to his music if you don't already know it.
Or do you?

5 comments:

  1. After reading about Glenn Gould's life and accompliments I find myself intrigued. It seems we lost a very talented musician at much too young of an age. (I had never heard of him either, Sharon.)

    What was the name of the film?

    Here's a link to Mr. Gould's Goldberg Variations on youtube:

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7LWANJFHEs

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's called THE INNER LIFE OF GLENN GOULD - and it's definitely worth watching, Dan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Life magazine photo archive is an amazing resource - plenty there to help spark the creative imagination.

    I've put a link in above to its 'The Kisses We Remember' category

    The shot 'Before He Leaves' is fascinating for the potential stories it triggers...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great link, Jack - thanks.
    If anyone's not sure how to get it - click onto Jack's name and the images will appear.

    Inspiring material for romance writers!

    ReplyDelete
  5. thank you for some of these web articles is very impressive and qualified to compete alat bantu sex pria

    ReplyDelete