Friday 4 June 2010

MORE IMAGES OF FRANCE



This is the kind of image I like to keep in my memory-bank.....sitting in a flower-filled restaurant in Aix en Provence, and just about to eat a delicious goat's cheese salad.




And this was the scene which greeted me on the morning of my (delayed!) departure.



The French on strike (a national strike) because they were objecting to plans to raise the retirement age because of the national debt.


Someone carried a placard declaring their protest to be "Like the Greeks".
Hmm.
In an ideal world, I can see the attractions of early retirement for some people. Just as I can see the attractions of world peace, the eradication of poverty and the banning of junk food. The list could go on and on.
The trouble is that it's not.....
An ideal world, that is.
Do you have sympathy with the strikers?

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sharon. I am so pleased to see that you like goat's cheese. It's a favourite of mine, and I am lucky enough to be able to produce it on my farm in Arbroath. My sister and I tend a substantial flock here, so if ever you are nearby you can come and sample my cheese. You might even be able to milk some of my goats!

    To answer your question, I am afraid I don't have any sympathy with the strikers. They should know what it is like to be a shepherd - up early in the morning and never getting to bed til late at night! Our society has become too namby pamby, and the French bourgeoisie are - as always - the worst. Do you agree? Yours, Arthur

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, going on strike is all a bit luxurious in my book, Sharon.

    If anyone tried it where I work (in the UK) they'd be out of a job, frankly. And I KNOW 'they can't do that' etc, but in the real world they jolly well always seem to find a way to deal with such irritants.One would be shown 'la porte'.

    Gosh, getting a tad uppity there! Any nice, fluffy, little kittens in Aix?

    Love,

    Rach.
    XX

    ReplyDelete